23 October 2009

Vegan White Sauce and Casserole

I felt like making casserole yesterday for some reason so I looked up a bunch of recipes of non-dairy white sauces to see what kind of ingredients they used. They all used non-dairy butter or margarine and rice milk. What they varied in was the type of flour and spices. My recipe included the following (all measurements are very approximate):

3 TBSP non-dairy butter (earth balance)
1 1/2 cup rice milk
5 TBSP potato flour (this was the primary flour I used)
1 TBSP tapioca flour
2 TBSP soy flour
1 TBSP mochiko flour (to add some sweetness)
a handful of grated almond and rice cheeses

To cook the white sauce:
melt the butter in a pot (don't make it too hot or it will burn)
add about 3 TBSP of potato flour
whisk until the flour has absorbed all the butter (you may need more flour)
do not let it brown
slowly add the rice milk in stages, stirring between to combine
then add the other flours
the mixture should be slightly think and coat the back of spoon when dipped in
then add the grated cheese (this takes a while to melt so leave it on low for a while and stir occasionally)
then add what ever spices you like and taste it

the spices I used were:
salt
pepper
nutmeg
tumeric
parsley flakes
barley flakes
smoked paprika


To make the casserole I cooked a bag of rice and vegetable noodles until they were al dente. Then mixed in the sauce in a casserole dish. I added chopped broccoli and zucchini, you can add what ever vegetables you like. Mix it all up and then sprinkle the top with more grated cheese and some almond flour (to get a crispy top). My whole family ate it and said it was very good (and they are not on my diet). So I guess it was a winner. I hope you have the same success.

No comments:

Post a Comment