28 October 2009

spagetti and leeks

I was in the local health food store a few days ago and saw some leeks. I decided to get a couple because I felt like eating them. After buying them I had to find a recipe to put them in. I found one on foodnetwork.com. I had to change a few things to make it gluten free and to use things we had in the house. Here is what I did:

I cooked some corn spagetti noodles and soba (buckwheat) noodles (because that is what we had, you can use whatever kind of noodles you want. If you use soba noodles make sure the are 100% buckwheat cause sometimes there is wheat flour mixed in). I recommend cooking the corn and soba noodles separately because the corn noodles take longer to cook. While you are waiting for the water to boil, heat up a frying pan with a good amount of oil in it (I used Safflower oil, but you can use any oil designed for high heat). Cut and wash the leeks (I used two). Don't use the leafy top part or the bottom with the roots on it. Toss these into the hot oil and cook them until they are a bit soft. (I also added a couple drops of sesame oil) When the noodles are done strain and rinse them and pour them into a bowl with some balsamic vinegar and tamari(wheat free soy sauce). You can also add chopped radicchio or cabbage and hazelnuts if you so wish (I would have if we had any in the house).

Well, I hope you will enjoy this dish as much as my family did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment