29 October 2009

Halloween Hash

An intuitive counselor told me I should eat more big leafy greens like kale so I decided to look up some kale recipes. I found two that looked good. I went to the store and bought the ingredients (keep in mind that I had never eaten kale before today so I had no clue what it tasted like). First I made kale chips which were amazing (recipe in the next post). Then for dinner I made a Winter Vegetable Hash which we renamed 'Halloween Hash' because Halloween is only a few days away. I had no idea how it would turn out but my family loved it. We mixed it with ground beef and rice, but we also thought it would go well with chicken.


Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
* 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
* 1 bell pepper, diced
* 1 small acorn squash, diced
* 1 shallot, finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1 pinch salt
* 1 pinch ground black pepper
* 1 cup chopped kale
* 4 sprigs fresh sage (about four leaves)
* Add whatever spices you feel are necessary (thyme and rosemary are good)

Directions

1. Place oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and mix in potatoes, mushrooms, pepper, squash, and shallot. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and squash are tender.
2. Mix kale and sage into skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes, until kale is wilted. Don't cook the kale too much or it will become bitter. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment