07 October 2009

Red Velvet Cake

I don't know if anyone is actually reading this blog and frankly I don't really care. I'm starting to view it as a place for me to keep all my wheat-free, dairy-free recipe's together where I can access them and share them with people easily.

That said...one of my favorite cakes is red velvet. Its actually one of the only cakes I will eat. So I decided to make it wheat- and dairy-free so I could eat it. I baked it yesterday and while quite delicious it wasn't quite what I wanted so I'm going to try it again sometime to see if I can perfect the recipe. I also have to make the frosting, which I plan to do later this afternoon. Below is the recipe for the cake (can also be done as cupcakes)

1/4 cup almond meal/flour
1 cup mochiko flour
1 cup rice flour
1 cup unrefined sugar
3 Tbsp carob powder or cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

In the blender:
2 medium beets and 1 cup warm water (you can also use the entire contents of 1 8.25 oz. can of water packed beets)
1/3 cup Grapeseed oil
1/4 cup Lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and put aside. Blend the beets and water or can of beets until they are pureed then add the other wet ingredients and blend for about 30 sec. Pour aprox 2 cups (if you used canned beets pour the whole thing in) of blender mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min or until you can stick a toothpick in it and it comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment